STUDENT CONTEST WINNERS HAVE
WITH FAMOUS AUTHOR
February 12, 2013
Nine Collier County Public Schools (CCPS) elementary students are in for a special breakfast this Friday (February 15) with a famous author – Andrea Beaty, author of the book Attack of the Fluffy Bunnies. The lucky students have been selected as winners in the annual Barbara Bush Foundation for Family Literacy Celebration of Reading student writing contest. The winning students from Collier County are:
- Alexis Amoyo – Corkscrew Elementary School
- Madelyn Paige Harris – Vineyards Elementary School
- Olivia Kaplan – Pelican Marsh Elementary School
- Kayla Lupien – Corkscrew Elementary School
- Molly Meyer – Tommie Barfield Elementary School
- Madelyn Morey – Laurel Oak Elementary School
- Krista Sodeika – Laurel Oak Elementary School
- Vanna Sroka – Naples Park Elementary School
- Kendra Kleinknecht – Naples Park Elementary School
The students, their parents, teacher, and school principal have been invited to attend the Celebration of Reading Children’s Breakfast, now in its thirteenth year, at the Hyatt Regency Coconut Point Resort & Spa (5001 Coconut Road, in Bonita Springs). The students will be Beaty’s guests of honor at the breakfast – having the opportunity to visit with the entertaining author and share their winning submissions.
This year’s writing contest focused on students penning a great holiday reading and writing adventure. Students were asked to read Attack of the Fluffy Bunnies over Winter Break, and then write a short story about their family’s holiday from the perspective of a family pet. The contest was open to students in grades three through five, from Charlotte, Collier, Glades, Hendry, and Lee school districts.
To learn more, please contact Collier County Public Schools K-5 Language Arts & Reading Coordinator Dianne Faramo at